Saturday, September 17, 2011

Week 3 Peer review or comments

Friday, September 16, 2011


Week 3 Art of Possibilty Chp 5- 8 by Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander

Chapter 5 Leading from any chair
Photo by Nele's



The author has a very profound perspective of leadership. The author says we should look for passion and commitment. The silent conductor the person who leads is one who recognizes the opportunity to lead from where they are. How can we have teachers arrive at this perspective of leadership from any chair? I believe exploring the 21st Century skill collaboration could easily help are students discover and model the silent conductor, wouldn’t this be nice?

Chapter 6 “Rule Number 6”.
I needed this chapter. I love to laugh and tend to do this quite often at work but more with the students that the teachers. As an administrator, I am going to practice taking myself less serious. I have a good relationship with the teachers but believe their perception of me is getter done. I want to enjoy the process more. I like the question, what would have to change for me to be fulfilled? (pg. 87) I know, me? No one else or anything has this power. I am rediscovering my Central Self and scaring the hell out of people around me.

Chapter 7 “The Way Things Are”
Own the reality your in, what I am doing that. No you’re in denial. I once learned a valuable lesson 2 + 2 = 4. I use this mathematical statement like the authors use the way things are. I use to live in the world of “should”, “should of”, and “could of,” what if”. The reality of 2+2=4 means, if you add all of the realities around you up the product is your reality. When you deal with what is real you can then begin to perceive the real options offered in the reality.

Chapter 8 “Giving Way to Passion”
BYTFI (pg.121) yes, I love this book. Sometimes we allow systems to systematically take passion from us. This is so tragic, the lost of passion. Passion is a driving force for creativity and living authentically. When passion is lost we are lost. Two suggestions appear on pg. 114. Discover where you are holding back and participate fully. I want to use these suggestions as it relates to technologies possible impact on learning. Let’s go big or stay home.

2 comments:


Christine Shikenjanski said...
Les, I so enjoyed reading your posts. I found it interesting that your thoughts mirrored my own in many respects. For me I tend to get bogged down by the stresses of not setting limits for what I can do. I am the type of person that takes on too much. In doing so, I forget to let others lead, I take myself way to serious at times, I sometimes forget to embrace the idea the way things are is reality and because I am so overwhelmed I often don't participate. Like you I love this book and will be embracing BTFI (pg. 121).
Dena Richardson said...
Les I like your perspective on these chapters. It is a little different from mine but I agree with your view. Especially the part about our passion. I think we allow the system or systems to interfer with our passion. I also love Rule Number 6. I think if we take it on we will have health problems so I believe in rule #6. I love to laugh at well and I surely know how to lighten up. I don't take on unnecessary STUFF.

Post a Comment

Wk 3 Response to Reading: The Art of Possiblity


Remember Rule 6
Image downloaded from
Microsoft ClipArt Gallery


As a teacher we are always “leading from a chair”.  I can’t make my students learn, I can’t make them succeed.  My goal is to guide them, engage them, and help them create that inner desire to succeed on their own.  I understand the idea of asking what is wrong with me if they are not succeeding, but I also think that this can take away some of the personal responsibility of the students.  Students need to also participate for the relationship to work.

I love, love, LOVE Remember Rule #6.  I totally live by this!  I vow to never take myself too seriously and try to lighten up the mood with humor whenever possible.  I have found that this helps to ease tense situations…also defusing a situation with humor often times allows both parties to leave with their dignity (save face).  I am also not opposed to their Have the best ______ ever scenario ::wink, wink::

I also found the inner battle between the calculating self and central self very intriguing.  After reading this, it was easy to ascertain which self tries to be dominant in certain situations.  While I usually stay in the central self, there are time where I find my calculating self trying to rear it’s ugly head.

The way things are is such a difficult concept sometimes.  There are times when you just want to vent, cry, scream and not accept the injustice of certain things.  However, in the end, there usually isn’t much you can do to change the situation, only your reaction to that situation.  I try to highlight this with students when we talk about childhoods and the situations in which we were raised.  I was raised in a difficult situation, where I was always in that survival mode with a drug-addicted parent until I entered the 6th grade.  I told my students that I could have held onto this difficult background and let it guide my adult life.  Instead I chose to realize that this was the situation and that I could rise above it…I didn’t let my inability to change my past alter my future.

2 comments:


Christine Shikenjanski said...
Heather, I absolutely agree with your post. In particular Rule #6 and "The way things are" concept. I truly admire your ability to not take yourself so seriously. There are times I can do this but for me it is something I have to work at. "The way things are" concept is one that also takes work. And unfortunately one that seems to elude many people. I commend you on knowing that you had the ability to rise above your childhood difficulties and chose to not let them "guide" your adult life. As you may know too many adults use their childhood experiences as justification for their poor choices or inability to take responsibility for their issues. ( Oops! I really do need to work on Rule #6). In any event, your post was great!
Dena Richardson said...
I love your graphic. I agree as teachers we lead and I also agree that you can't make students learn but could that student be the silent conductor and one day the gray sky will turn blue. You may not see it in your class but as the student develops into a young adult you may see where all your hard work went. I also agree on Rule #6. I am like you. I don't take it on. I know how to live it up or just let it go. I also agree with your last paragraph. Good for you. You chose to take another direction and that is what life is all about choices. We have to choose whether we are going to make good or bad choices. Well done Heather.

No comments:

Post a Comment